Thursday, October 5, 2017

Teen Librarian Review: October Books pt. 1

Books to Get You in the Mood for Fall

Title: Denton Little's Deathdate
Author: Lance Rubin

18883231

Rating (1-5 stars):5 stars

"This is what I imagine a Tim Burton and Wes Anderson creation would be like.  It was well done, very quirky, and unlike anything I had read before.  It dips a toe in dystopian while remaining mostly in realistic fiction.  I loved this, and I hope you too will route for Denton not to die."



Title: Caraval
Author: Stephanie Garber

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Rating (1-5 stars):5 stars

"Where do I start with this one?  I guess how I'd describe it to someone is that it's like The Night Circus with a little Harry Potter and a little of Stardust [by Neil Gaiman].  Its a whimsical and magical tale of two sisters with a dash of romance that will leave you wanting more, yet curious about what the sequel will tell you.  I couldn't figure out where a sequel would come out of until the second to last page!  And remember, it's just a game..."


Name: The Last magician

Author: Lisa Maxwell
30312855
Rating (1-5 stars):5 stars

"This whole book is a magic trick!  Ahhhh, I love a long con!  While it takes a little while to get into and gets a little twisty to comprehend at times, i highly recommend it.  Not only is it a fusion of time travel/historical fiction/and magic/fantasy, but it is also a concise magic trick.  Full of twists and turns and long cons, this book kept me constantly guessing while also spending a lot of time just enjoying it.  Maybe if you read it you'll beat the twists before they're displayed, but i loved suspending disbelief and just seeing where this went.  I can't say much more than that without giving anything important away!"


Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Author: V.E. Schwab

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Rating (1-5 stars): 5 stars

"While this is an adult novel, teen readers will definitely enjoy it.  On the first page we meet Kell, someone who can travel between not 1 but 4 parallel Londons.  Don't worry, it's not as tricky as it sounds- he lives in Red London and he's just in charge of bringing letters between royal families of 2 other Londons.  Then there's Lila, a roguish pirate-like character who lives in Grey London (the London we know).  Their lives quickly tie together when Lila pickpockets Kell and the story unfolds from there.  If you read and loved Six of Crows, This Savage Song, or ABC's Once Upon a Time, there's something here for you."


All of these pair well with pumpkin tea or coffee ☺